Thursday, November 30, 2017

India

My last blog post has me thinking about my roots and something I touched on only briefly was my connection to India. Like I mentioned in the “O Canada” post, my family on my father’s side is Indian and Canadian. His mother is a native Canadian and had two Canadian parents while his dad is of purely Indian descent. Therefore, that makes me a quarter Indian, a quarter Canadian, and a half Mexican. The reason I thought of India however, was not my Indian relatives in Canada, but the fact that it is the one country that I have roots in, that I have not visited. I mentioned that I travel to Canada at least once if not several times a year, and I have been to Mexico for a few extended trips (the first of which was an entire year Oaxaca) over the course of my life. India seems like the final destination to complete the journey.

Since we were born (my siblings and I) it was (and still is) a goal of my father’s to take our family to India. Traveling there would not only allow us to visit our family there, but give us a taste of the “incomparable experience” of Indian life and culture my father and grandparents have always described. I have heard countless stories of buzzing streets packed with cars, people, food vendors, and even goats and boasts of the fluffiest garlic nan known to man, the tastiest ___ appetizers, goat and chicken curry that melts into your tongue, all home cooked to perfection. Of course I am exaggerating, but my dad can tell you a number of different times during which the food his family made was so delicious he literally could not take another bite without throwing up and stayed on the couch the rest of the night, sick from over eating.


I love Indian food (it is easily one of my top 3) and I always enjoy seeing family so when these stories come up, I am filled with excitement, anticipation, and happiness.  One thing that is unique about my Indian background is that although it only makes up a quarter of my racial background, I would argue it is the most influential of the three nationalities I represent (even 4 if you include the United States). Like I mentioned, Indian weddings have been the norm for me for as long as I can remember, but even beyond that, we celebrate Indian holidays, practice customs, and participate in traditions and past times. These include festivals such as Holi and Diwali, traditions such as Rakhi and Tikka, and even the occasional cricket match. I think a big part of this influence is the size of my family and their relative accessibility. Like I mentioned before, my grandfather is one of 13, and that alone creates a huge family. Each of my cousins and uncles and aunts are constantly getting married, having children, and hosting parties, which all become incentives for out family to travel to Canada or wherever the occasion may be, and participate. The accessibility part alludes to the car trip we make to Canada so often. Although it is a rough 12-13 hour trip (one way), it requires no booking of flights or hotels, and so, is very much doable.

3 comments:

  1. I think that reflecting on your roots is very important and can change who you are and see how you came to be. As I read your post I realize how diverse your history really is and how many different connections you can make. I am envious because my culture is fairly centralized and does have all the diversity and mystery that you have. I hope that you can find out more about yourself when you finally get to experience India.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's actually really interesting that your Indian background is one of the most influential parts of your background considering you're also American and Canadian and Canada is right next door. It seems like part of why it's such a big part of who you are is because of how involved it is. There are several big events and you have a lot of extended family and a large community. I think my personal situation proves the hypothesis. There aren't a whole lot of Indonesian traditions, so my family rarely ever has any sort of religious celebration and we don't have a large extended family or community either. As a result, I've always felt pretty disconnected from my Indonesian heritage. In any case, I think it's cool you have so many different cultures to draw from. It's part of what makes you such a unique dude!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a really interesting post and I think it is important to reflect on your roots. Besides my parents and my brother, the rest of my family all live in Germany, and although we get to visit them once a year, sometimes it doesn't feel like enough. The culture is very different (especially the food) and I really enjoy visiting with my family. Good post!

    ReplyDelete

India

My last blog post has me thinking about my roots and something I touched on only briefly was my connection to India. Like I mentioned in th...